Mary is known throughout history as the mother of Jesus Christ. In addition to being one of the most revered figures of modern Christianity, there are many lessons from her life that we can apply to guide us in our daily walk with God. By examining these aspects of her life we can come to better understand how God works through everyday people in order to bring his perfect will into the earth.
1. Promise- Mary was given a promise from God for her life. She was told she was highly favored, The Lord is with her and she is blessed among women. Luke 1:26-30
Just like Mary you are blessed and God has given you favor for your life. Genesis 1:28
For You, O LORD, will bless the righteous;
With favor You will surround him as with a shield.
2. Prophetic Word – Mary was given a prophetic Word. She was told not to fear and that she was going to have a Son.
That her son is going to be Jesus and he is going to be great. He shall be called Son of the Highest. He shall be given a throne of his Father David. Luke 1:30-33
The Bible is book of prophesy. It is God’s inspired Word to man. It is God’s love letter for man.
II Peter 1:21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
II Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
3. Perspective – Mary had a natural response. Then Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I do not know a man?” Luke 1:34
The difference maker in Mary is that she was willing to listen and not get stuck in her own thoughts, opinions, and feelings about her situation of how things should be, could be, suppose to be according to her own plan concerning her life.
4. Plan – God had a plan for Mary’s life. And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God. Luke 1:35
The same God that gave the promise and prophetic Word for Mary has a plan for your life. The God given dreams that God has deposited in your heart he desires to birth out of you. As you consult with Him in prayer and with the Word of God. God desires to help you bring those things to pass.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD, And He delights in his way.
5. Power – For with God nothing will be impossible. Luke 1:37
God made his power available for her waiting to release it when she got in agreement through her submission to Him she surrendered from her own efforts.
What God desires to do in your life is based on your capacity to believe.
Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”
6. Permission- God did not override Mary’s will. Then Mary said, “Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her. Luke 1:38
God needed her permission and participation. What God desires to do through you He needs your permission and participation. Can two walk together except they be agreed. Amos 3:3